Saturday 9 June 2012

Counting my Blessings



I know I am shamefully tardy at blogging that I should be up here chatting and posting more often but truth be told the daily slog of life has kept me on my toes and plate juggling the role of ceramic artist, mother of three, chief bottle washer and cook ,housekeeper, gardener, chauffeur, as well as keeper of the books and animal warden has hardly left me a minute to be me. Since I last  scrambled out fro under all that a lot of muddy water has flowed turgid and full of flotsam and jetsam under my particular rickety bridge and I have been hanging in there by my toes. But here I am again bobbing up again , not drowning but waving to Miss Quote Stevie Smith..

Sometimes the choices are either sink or swim under all that life throws up over you and as I do not have either the mentality nor the luxury of the former I am paddling like mad to maintain the latter and last night when I collapsed in bed I lay there and thought Ok take a breathe, tred water for a while and count  your blessings, so I did.  And here they are... 1 2 3 many.....

1 girl
2 boys
3 wonderful children whom I love and who love me in return.
Many smiles

1 cockerel
2 hens
3 dogs
Many goldfish in the pond my boys built.

1 heart
2 hands
3 heads to kiss goodnight
Many hugs

1 sister
2 brothers
3 sister/brothers in law
Many beautiful and talented nieces

1 aunt
2 Families
3 colonial cousins
Many friends

1 life
2 chances
3 wishes
Many dreams

Once I got started I could go on and on... enough to keep black dogs from the door, enough to make me realize just how lucky I am after all,  So hard to stop counting there are so so many things in my life to be thankful for, so what are you waiting for ? Stop reading and start counting !



...............................................................................................................................................................
The piece of art at the top of this post is a printed canvas rug by Kathy Cooper a renowned artist and author of craft books, Click on the link to see some of her amazing handsome work.

7 comments:

Elizabethd said...

..and good friends too.

Pondside said...

Oh yes....friends who love you for all your passion, compassion, imagination, humour, backbone, creativity..........keep hanging on!...

Frances said...

Sarah, may I be "3" in this collection of comments praising you? I am taking yes for your answer.

I am so glad to think of you as a friend, knowing about all those characteristics that 1 and 2 have already mentioned.

Sometimes, it is so difficult to imagine a brilliant tomorrow. I usually hope for a tomorrow with some new experiences, some positive surprises, the ability to treasure the positive (while not exactly totally banishing those other aspects of life.)

I think you have this gift. xo

Un Peu Loufoque said...

You three I count very much as amongst my blessings!

meadowlass said...

From a complete stranger. I spent several years in your situation and it seemed like if anything could go wrong it would. I teetered on the edge of a nervous breakdown but knew that if I did go under then I would lose my job, the family home etc. I remember being envious of the situation of my sister in law also a single parent with issues who told me that she had a nervous breakdown and a year off work because she could. Full pay and a really good deputy head to take over. Now being retired I look back and think that in many ways those really were the best years of my life when the children were still at home. When I read my diaries from that era yes we had constant and very scary money worries, a 2 hour commute each way and other issues but I was needed. Don't forget how you are very much needed now. Just hang on in there! And we love to read your blog whenever you can find the time and understand when you can't

Sally Townsend said...

Lovely blog and heartening to see you back again, your list is so very true and you are fortunate enough to be surrounded by a loving close family with loyal true friends cheering you on from the sidelines xx

bodran... said...

Hello their lovely, what a lovely post and so very true xx